15 stycznia 2020
To get going on PrEP, speak to your regular doctor or nursing assistant, or search for a intimate wellness Clinic. There are also other clinics that offer PrEP by calling 311 or visiting the NYC wellness Map.
Is PrEP right for me personally?
To learn if PrEP is suitable for you, first get tested for HIV. PrEP is actually for HIV-negative people who will be willing to simply just simply take an everyday pill.
You should think about PrEP that is taking if:
- Try not to always utilize condoms while having sex
- Recently had an infection (sti that is sexually transmitted
- Do have more than one partner that is sexual
- Have partner who may have intercourse with other partners
- Have partner who’s got HIV and a detectable or unknown load that is viral
- Want to conceive with a partner who may have HIV
- Have partner whom will not get an HIV test
- Have sexual intercourse for cash, drugs or destination to keep
- Inject medications or have partner whom injects drugs
So how exactly does PrEP stop HIV?
The medicines in PrEP stop the virus from spreading throughout your body, preventing an HIV infection if you are exposed to HIV. PrEP just works so you need to take PrEP every day if you have enough medicine in your body.
Truvada® — the medication that is only authorized as PrEP — is a variety of emtricitabine (Emtriva®) and tenofovir (Viread®). They are exactly the same medicines that are safe lots of people with HIV used to continue to be healthy.
Is PrEP safe? Do you know the relative unwanted effects?
PrEP is safe. Truvada®, has been utilized to take care of individuals with HIV since 2004.
Many people on PrEP try not to report any relative negative effects. For individuals who do, the absolute most common side-effects are sickness, upset stomach, weakness and headaches. These signs usually get better or go away in the month that is first of PrEP. Rare unwanted effects consist of bone or kidney dilemmas. Your physician or nursing assistant will allow you to handle any negative effects.
Just how well does PrEP work?
PrEP decreases the possibility of getting HIV through sex by over 90% for folks who make the tablet at the least four times per week. Your HIV danger is a lot reduced invest the PrEP each day.
Since PrEP ended up being introduced in 2012, it offers assisted reduce brand brand brand new HIV infections across new york.
If We just take PrEP, do I still need to make use of condoms?
PrEP is A hiv that is effective choice for individuals who don’t use condoms whenever they have intercourse, but PrEP just protects you against HIV. Condoms prevent other STIs and unintended maternity.
How do you just take PrEP?
With PrEP, you are taking a tablet when a even on days that you do not have sex or inject drugs day.
PrEP is recommended by way of a physician or nursing assistant.
- Prior to starting PrEP: your physician or nursing assistant will test one to make certain you don’t have HIV and that your kidneys and liver are russian bride movie healthier.
- When you are on PrEP: your medical professional or nursing assistant will test you every 3 months for HIV and also at minimum every 6 months for any other STIs.
For more information on what to anticipate whenever PrEP that is taking an individual’s Guide to PrEP (PDF) Espaсol.
Just how long does it just simply take for PrEP to exert effort?
Studies declare that you’ll want to just take PrEP that is daily for least:
- A week before PrEP provides maximum security when you might be the receptive or “bottom” partner during anal intercourse.
- Twenty days before PrEP provides maximum security when you’re the receptive partner during genital intercourse, or whenever you inject medications.
It is really not yet understood what amount of times you will need to simply simply simply take PrEP before it could offer maximum security while you are the insertive or “top” partner during anal or genital intercourse.
How to pay money for PrEP?
In nyc State, PrEP is included in Medicaid and a lot of medical insurance plans.
Should you not have insurance or have actually a high co-pay, you are entitled to a patient support system that can help pay money for PrEP. Medical clinics can also apply help patients. It is possible to enlist into a low-cost insurance policy by calling 311.
Find out more about your re Payment alternatives for PrEP (PDF).
Am I able to get PrEP if i will be an immigrant that is undocumented
Immigration status will not impact your capability to obtain PrEP. You’ll properly consult with staff at our Health that is sexual clinics how your immigration status may influence your alternatives for PrEP as well as other HIV prevention techniques.
That I am on PrEP if I am covered by my parents’ insurance, will they be notified?
No. Even though you are more youthful than 18, parental permission is not needed to begin PrEP. Your PrEP prescription and visits that are related the hospital will soon be private.
You can take steps to stop an “Explanation of Benefits” form from being sent to your parents or policyholder if you are covered by your parents’ insurance. Your PrEP provider can really help you using this procedure.
Exactly exactly just How else can I remain HIV-negative?
- Find out about crisis PEP. If you’re perhaps not taking PrEP and think you had been recently subjected to HIV, get immediately to the doctor or a crisis space and have for PEP, a crisis medicine that may avoid HIV. You can phone the NYC PEP hotline at 844-3-PEPNYC (844-373-7692), to begin with on PEP straight away. The hotline can be obtained 24/7.
- Utilize condoms normally as you possibly can. Discover the size and type of condom you would like. Condoms are around for free in every five boroughs. To locate our where you are able to get yourself a condom that is free call 311 or go to the NYC Health Map
- Utilize lube. Utilize water-based or silicone-based lubricant, specially during anal intercourse.
- Get tested for HIV. An HIV test could be the only way to understand in the event that you or a partner has HIV.
- Confer with your partners about assessment. Pose a question to your intercourse lovers in regards to the final time they had an HIV test. To make sure, get tested together.
- Help your lovers managing HIV. Encourage partners coping with HIV getting HIV care and simply just just take their medicines every day, so that they continue to be healthy and never pass HIV to other people.
- Get examined for any other STIs. STIs causes it to be more straightforward to get or spread HIV.
- Avoid drugs and alcohol when you’ve got intercourse. Getting or drinking high if you have intercourse makes it difficult to remember to utilize condoms. For make it possible to prevent using, call 888-NYC-WELL (888-692-9355). Interpreters are offered for over 200 languages.
- Utilize syringes that are cleanPDF). In the event that you inject medications, avoid syringes that are sharing cookers, cottons and drug solutions. Learn where you could get syringes that are clean the town.
PrEP for females
PrEP is A hiv that is effective selection for cisgender and transgender females whenever taken daily.
Women that have actually genital sex must be specially careful to simply simply simply take PrEP each day to keep medicine that is enough their vaginal muscle to avoid an HIV infection.
Women that have intercourse with females and whom can be subjected to HIV through sex or injecting medications can additionally reap the benefits of PrEP.
Will PrEP restrict my birth prevention?
No. Studies have shown that PrEP does not hinder hormone-based birth prevention. PrEP just stops HIV, so that you still have to utilize birth control or condoms to avoid pregnancy that is unintended other STIs.
Will PrEP affect my hormones treatment?
No. There is absolutely no proof that PrEP interacts with estrogens (or progestins) or impacts the known quantities of hormones within your body. Analysis has discovered that transgender ladies who just simply just take PrEP daily are protected from HIV.
Am I able to simply simply just take PrEP while hoping to get pregnant or nursing?
Yes. PrEP can protect women that are attempting to conceive a kid having A hiv-positive partner. PrEP is safe for the child and mother both during and after maternity, and it has maybe not been proven to influence fertility.
If you’d like to simply simply simply take PrEP while wanting to conceive, consult with your physician. You might have to consult a specialist to get more guidance about making use of PrEP that way.